Hey folks! These apple and spice meatballs have been a joke around this house. I had a hard time getting them right! No worries though. I work hard for you making sure this stuff tastes good. So, the hubby has been eating a lot of meatballs. Finally, I present to you the finished product. They are yummy. Spicy and comforting. I think they would make a good meatloaf as well. Throw some tomato sauce on top, bake it and let me know how it turns out.
I had a super busy weekend which is the way I like it. My kids went to Moms for the weekend (yay!) so I crammed as much grownup activity in as possible.
First, the Dallas Marathon is this coming weekend. Almost all of us are running in it so we have a taper week. That means you cool it a little and let the legs rest. I’m doing the half marathon so by cooling it a little we ran 13 miles. It was supposed to be 12 but I was running my mouth and missed a turn. We finished the run with mimosas. Nothing like running and drinking before 8am to get your blood flowing!
Then I spent the day with the hubby Christmas shopping, and Christmas partying. Man! I had another mimosa at lunch. Bad Summer! (I’ll be reminded of those drinks during our 10 mile speed work session tomorrow.) Hubbies’ office Christmas party was Saturday night. It was fun to put on something besides sporty spice clothes.
Then Sunday night we had our annual Pavement Pounders Christmas party. Can I say again how much I love my little running family? They are a crazy bunch. We got together for food and a gift exchange. Really, we got together for food I think.
Here’s the thing. All weekend I was a good little Paleo girl. Besides the two mimosas I had it totally under control. Omelets for breakfast. Meat and veggies at the restaurants. No dessert at the party. Go me huh? Nope. Those dang running buddies ruined it all! Sunday night we had enough food to feed 70 people. I am not exaggerating! I took Paleo dishes but I stuffed my face with all of the other stuff. Bad. One “cheat” meal won’t kill me but if I can be honest I am kicking myself for eating THAT much in one sitting. Dang hungry runners. Don’t let their size fool you!
See that girl bottom row smack in the middle? That’s Sarah. She’s kind of our leader. She started the Pavement Pounder group and tries her best to keep us organized. She also has a great blog, how my world runs, and is my sort of blog mentor. Go check her page out! You can blame her if I’m doing this all wrong…just kidding guys…
- 1.5 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 apple diced small (skin included)
- 1/2 onion diced small
- whole jalapeno minced (seeds removed if you want it less spicy)
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 11/2 tsp. salt and pepper each
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Use your hands to mix ingredients well.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Form into one inch balls.
- Add meatballs to heated skillet one by one making sure not to overcrowd the pan. You will have to cook in batches.
- Depending on your stovetop you may need to adjust the heat. If the outside is cooking too fast turn heat down.
- Cook meatballs on all sides until done. They can be finished in oven if desired.
- Eat the meatballs alone or top with your favorite Paleo topping. We actually used the tomato sauce left in the can. That alone was great.