It’s summertime finally! Ain’t nobody got time to be standing around in the kitchen slaving away at dinner. This recipe happened because we spent a little too long playing outside so I had to throw together something quick. I had shrimp thawed so here you have it. The bearded husband totally loved it. I loved the fact that I can eat a healthy stir fry without being bloated from all of the sodium. And then there’s kale. When I eat kale I feel like I’m really following the rules or being some kind of superhero or something. Know what I mean? Of course this would be delicious on white rice but I’m steering clear of that right now so we ate it with a side of sweet potatoes. Eat it with whatever you want. It’s your dinner.
Well, folks, I’m still not running because of my little injury. Remember how Monday I was all positive and getting stronger and feeling great? Yeah, that kind of took a turn Tuesday. I. Want. To. Run. I sort of had a full on pity party, I’m going to sulk the whole day, just leave me be to feel sorry for myself kind of day on Tuesday. I’m such a woman! Whatever, leave me alone alright. Today is Thursday and I’m feeling much better. Thanks for asking. I remind myself that I don’t really have a race coming up and it’s kind of a downtime anyway in the running season. Really, if I have to be off now is the best time. This is my pep talk…like it?
The silver lining is I get to spend more time at F3 (remember, my gym that’s a sort of a mix of Crossfit and other stuff.) Well, and all I have is a strained hamstring, I know other people are much worse off but come on! Let me whine! Anyway, today was kind of tough over at the ole gym. My pull-ups were not near as pretty as they were the other day. That’s ok. I was still glad to be there and glad I got my tail out of bed. One super cool part of the morning was my crazy strong pregnant friend was able to PR on her deadlift. She is such a beast! Deadlifting with that belly sticking out. Man! Cool!
-Front Squat, 4x@75%, 2x@85%, 1+x@95%
-Deadlifts, Work up to 1rm
12 Min AMRAP: (as many reps as possible)
-5 HSPU (Hand stand push up)
-5 Goblet Squat, 70/53#
It was a good workout. I’ll feel it later I’m sure.
So on to big news!! I registered for the New Orleans Rock n Roll Marathon again!! Yay I’m so excited! I’m so stinking proud of myself for finishing that race but since then in the back of my mind I’ve wanted a rematch. I have thought and thought and thought about where I want my second marathon to be. I kept thinking I needed to go somewhere different, but my mind keeps coming back to this city and this race. Yep, I’ll get my rematch. A handful of my buddies are coming along as well. I can’t wait for training to start! You can’t wait to hear all about it again huh? Yeah, I thought so.
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. dried chives
- 1 tbsp. milled flax seed
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- For the Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 2 handfuls of chopped kale
- 12 oz. of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the sauce. Make sure to make the sauce first. The flax seed needs time to thicken the liquid before cooking.
- Once ingredients are whisked together set sauce to the side and begin stir fry.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp. of the butter and the oil in the pan.
- Add the sliced onions and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to sweat.
- Next add the broccoli, green beans and kale.
- Stir frequently, as to not burn the onions. If the pan becomes dry add the other tablespoon of butter.
- Continue stirring the vegetables frequently until they are tender. About 10 minutes.
- Next add the shrimp on top of the vegetables and salt them.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp and stir.
- Continue to stir until the shrimp are done. About 3 minutes. Careful not to overcook the shrimp.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped walnuts.
- Any vegetables can be used in this recipe. It is a good recipe to clean out your produce drawer.