Man, I am in a mood today. You know how I told you I was sick last week? Well, it struck again. I felt it coming on. Yesterday I wanted to sit around all day drinking coffee and watching TV. I didn’t do that but it would have been nice. Right? Well, today when my alarm went off at 3:30am I knew I should have stayed in bed. You know as well as I do, I am one of those stubborn runners. I got up, got dressed (not well enough because I was cold) and set out for 8 miles. We had a new girl coming! I really wanted to meet her! I’m sure she thought I was a crazy person or just a wuss because I refused to run a hill on the route and I cut the run short at 5 miles. I basically told them the hell with this, I’m going home.
I DO NOT get up at 3:30am to do a PART of my workout. Instead of being in our fun little group selfie I took this sad/pissy face selfie in the car. Okay, okay enough feeling sorry for myself. I got the boys to school, went for a delicious almond butter smoothie and headed to the doc to get two shots and a Z-pack. I appreciate all of the natural remedy suggestions but I’m over this. My 18 mile run this weekend will be a good one dang it!
Now, back to happy Summer! I get to go shopping tonight for a Christmas dress for the hubbies company party. Yay! One night a year I get to change out of my sports bra and wear something sexy for the hubby. Too much information to share? Oh well, I’m in a mood remember? I’m still excited to try on dresses. Maybe I’ll even take pictures for a sneak peak! Maybe…
So on to the recipe at hand. If you haven’t tried beets or think you don’t like them, try this. They are so good roasted. My kids devour them. One day I actually ate 7 beets in one sitting because I could not get enough. This is also super easy but looks fancy enough if you are trying to impress a dinner guest. And hey, it is a plate of super foods! You can’t go wrong!
Are you as whiney as me when you are sick?
Let me know what you think of the recipe.
- 2 red beets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large apple cored
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Feta (optional)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Scrub beets and remove stem and root.
- Coat beets with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast covered for about 45 minutes until tender.
- When beets have cooled you can easily remove the rest of the skin with a knife. Slice beets about a 1/4 inch thickness.
- While beets are cooking, slice cored apple into same thickness.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a skillet.
- Cook apples in butter until slightly browned and tender.
- In the meantime whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- When beets and apples have cooled, layer them over a spring mix salad and top with dressing.
- Sprinkle feta on top if using.